Search This Blog

July 20, 2013

Friday Night Sew In

Sugarlane Quilts is hosting a Friday Night Sew In. Since I am constantly working on one project or another, I thought "Why not? Sounds like fun". After all, when does getting together with a bunch of quilters to sew not fun?

Well... That depends. I spent the night on a task that some do not find fun and had my first venture into basting. We will see if I managed to maintain flatness. My sewing machine does not do machine quilting, so this is another hand quilting project. The Sweet Pea quilt is temp shelved as I seem to have forgotten to buy backing and that is now on it's way. Connecting Threads thankfully is currently running a backing sale. What perfect timing!


This picture is from the quilt roughly half basted. Ended up taking 3-4 hours total. Currently working on motifs for the hand quilting. Looking at stars and deciding on connections between them. Grateful to have this task out of the way. =)
This quilt is a memorial to my mother who passed away several years ago. She taught me to sew and love fabric when I was 10. She always wanted to ride in a Hot Air Balloon and see the land from the air. She would have loved this quilt. Some elements blend in, for example there is a purple blanket stitch used on the applique kite tail bows and a silver lining on the clouds(also blanket stitched). The rays of the sun are golden glass beads and the basket ropes are brown yarn.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely block and I can't wait to see the quilt finished. I am sure your mum would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a lovely project and so much meaning in it.... I am full of admiration of hand quilters...

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,
    Lovely thoughts gone into your
    quilt, it will be lovely when
    it's finished.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories, your quilt will be gorgeous. See you next FNSI!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea, to stitch your mums hopes, dreams and wishes into a quilt.......I love the background fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful little quilt, you did well getting most of the basting done, always a hard job! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great - a good FNSI for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty quilt and a lovely memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great FNSI for you Emily! And that quilt has some very special meaning... keep going with it!!
    Anthea

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet way to pay tribute to your mom. Hand quilting sounds so laborious, but it always adds a special touch to any project and am impressed when anyone does it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice tribute to your Mom.....and hand stitching how lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emily I sent you an email on Wednesday to let you know that you won the stash box can you email me all the info and I will get it out to you.....it is filled with some goodies...sgriff57@comcast.net Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I could still hand baste but with arthritis that's out of the question for me. Cute, cute top! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete